As winter is upon us, many of us are looking forward to cozying up indoors with our furry pals. However, winter doesn't have to be all about hibernation. In fact, it can be the perfect time to explore some of the beautiful places that Australia has to offer. Whether it's a scenic mountain range, a breathtaking beach or a charming countryside getaway, there are plenty of destinations where you and your dog can enjoy winter's beauty. Here are some of the best winter escapes to enjoy with your dog in Australia.
1. The Blue Mountains, New South Wales: Known for its stunning vistas and hiking trails, the Blue Mountains are a great destination for dog owners. There are plenty of dog-friendly accommodations in the area, as well as off-leash dog parks and walking tracks. Some popular dog-friendly hiking trails include the Prince Henry Cliff Walk and the Empress Canyon. When it's time to rest, grab a hot cocoa and cozy up with your furry friend by the fire. For dog friendly accomodation options click here
2. Bright, Victoria: If you're looking for a winter wonderland, look no further than Bright in Victoria. This charming town is nestled in the foothills of the Australian Alps and is known for its picturesque scenery and outdoor activities. During winter, you and your dog can enjoy the snow-capped mountains, and after a day of fun, warm up with some refreshments at one of the dog-friendly cafes or pubs in the area. Find great places to stay here
3. Mclaren Vale, South Australia: McLaren Vale is just a 45-minute drive south of Adelaide and is famous for its world-class wines. But did you know that it's also a dog-friendly destination? Many wineries have dog-friendly gardens or outdoor areas where your pooch can relax while you sample some of the finest wines the region has to offer.There are also many dog-friendly hikes in the area. The Shiraz Trail is a 7.5km walk that takes you through the picturesque countryside with stunning views across the vineyards.
4. Dwellingup, Western Australia: Located just an hour’s drive from Perth, Dwellingup is a great winter escape for dog owners. The town, surrounded by forests and hills, offers an array of outdoor activities like bushwalking, bird watching, and canoeing. Visit Lane Poole Reserve, one of Western Australia’s most popular camping and picnic spots. With plenty of dog-friendly campsites to choose from, you and your dog will have a well-deserved, relaxing getaway.
5. Bruny Island, Tasmania:Bruny Island is a short 40-minute drive from Hobart and is an ideal winter escape for you and your dog. The island has a variety of dog-friendly accommodations, including cottages and cabins, perfect for a cozy winter getaway. Bruny Island is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Tasmania, and your dog will love running in the sand and frolicking in the waves. The island also offers numerous walking trails with stunning views of the sea, cliffs and wildlife.
Winter can be a magical and adventurous time for you and your dog. Exploring new places, playing in the snow and curling up by the fireplace are just a few things you and your furry friend can do on your winter escape.